Wednesday, 20 September 2017

Colin Thompson Lighthouse jigsaw puzzle: Review

I really enjoy Colin Thompson puzzles, they are always really fun to do and full of detail & humour. This sea themed one is in the shape of a lighthouse, with each level of the lighthouse interior filled with all manner of interesting things going on.
This 995 piece Lighthouse puzzle is huge, measuring 97 x 67 cm, and as such it is too long and wide to fit on a standard 1000 piece puzzle board.
Colin Thompson Lighthouse Jigsaw
Colin Thompson Lighthouse Jigsaw
Inside the box the pieces come securely in a plastic bag. This is not a resealable one, so when I pack the puzzle away I will use a couple of sandwich bags to tidy way the pieces.
Colin Thompson Lighthouse Jigsaw
Colin Thompson Lighthouse Jigsaw
This lighthouse shaped puzzle has a few hidden secrets, with specially shaped puzzle pieces coming together to create small shapes such as little lighthouses and starfish. These oddly shaped pieces, in addition to the unconventional outer edges of the puzzle, make the jigsaw more challenging than a “normal” rectangular puzzle. It is going to take me quite a while to finish it completely!
As always with Colin Thompson, the puzzle illustrations are weird, wonderful and witty. It is packed with intricate details and is really colourful, too. I love the way you can see fish swimming through the portholes in the walls of the lighthouse – has it sunk to the bottom of the ocean?
Colin Thompson Lighthouse Jigsaw
Colin Thompson Lighthouse Jigsaw
As always with Ravensburger the puzzle pieces are good quality, with a linen finish minimising the glare and their “soft click” technology making it easy to know when you have placed your pieces correctly. Unfortunately I had quite a few puzzle pieces that were still attached to one another slightly and had to be pulled apart, which surprised me.
I will make sure to upload a photo of the finished jigsaw puzzle when I have completed it, as I have been so busy I’ve only managed around a quarter so far! 
4 stars for this difficult, but enjoyable, puzzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment